Our goal is to assist individuals with disabilities to have the same kind of opportunities that everyone in our society should have a right to experience. That includes living and working in their community and having access to all of the social and recreational opportunities that we all enjoy. The recycling program at ACT is one way in which we give people with disabilities an opportunity to work.
ACT’s Recycling Services
The focus of ACT Works’ recycling program is to recycle obsolete electronic media materials, such as VHS tapes, DVDs, CDs, and their cases.
In the past, we would clean and resell video tapes and computer diskettes. Now, we recycle those materials and others by grinding them and selling the plastic for reuse by manufacturers.
Everyone likes a great story.
Ours is about used videotapes and how the problem of their disposal became a remarkable employment opportunity for people eager to work.
Incorporated in 1975, Alternative Community Training (ACT) is a nationally accredited, not-for-profit agency providing support and assistance to adults with disabilities.
In 1991, ACT workers began cleaning, degaussing, and packaging used videotapes for sale. This work provides a secure, environmentally safe method of tape disposal for participating companies. In addition, it furnishes gainful employment and a regular paycheck for many people—especially those with disabilities. As CDs and DVDs became more prevalent in the market-place, ACT began to also accept those materials.
Our donor base has included thousands of US companies who use large quantities of videotapes, DVDs, CDs, and diskettes. They include industry leaders such as American Airlines, Hewlett Packard, and HBO. Many private individuals also donate their old media materials.
No donation is too large or too small—ACT has received donations from a single videotape to truckloads of materials.
What motivates our donors is a desire to properly dispose of their used items in a secure, environmentally friendly manner. What pleases them is the opportunity their donated tapes and discs create for deserving individuals to lead productive lives. Your donations make ACT’s work possible.
1. Donors pack their own box with VHS tapes, CDs, and/or DVDs (and their storage cases)
2. Donors ship their donations to us at 2200 Burlington, Columbia MO 65202. If the donation will be shipped by freight, please contact ACT at 800-359-4607.
3. Our workers inventory the donation and in about a month a receipt is sent to the donor.
4. Workers degauss and disassemble videotapes. They also sort and separate CDs, DVDs, and cases by their plastic type.
5. The plastic is then ground into little pieces.
6. The ground plastic is sold to manufacturers for use in making new products.